Friday 13 September 2013

Turn on the Heat - Direct Heat Styling



Although low manipulation and protecting styling are integral parts of any regimen, every now and then a girl wants to let her hair down, literally. And while she can do so using braid-outs, twist-outs and the like, she just wants something more. A straighter, silkier, sexier look. ENTER THE BLOW DRYER AND FLAT IRON.These heat styling tools will allow you to go from kinky, coily, curly or wavy to straight in minutes... well, maybe hours.





Cautions:

It is entirely possible to use these tools every once in a while and still possess strong, soft, healthy hair which grows even to Below the Waist. However, one must ensure that these processes are executed properly. 
  • Only use heat tools on hair that has just been freshly cleansed and deep conditioned. 
  • Always use a heat protectant. 
  • Use the lowest possible setting with which you can achieve the desired results. 
  • Use tools which are in good condition so they won't snag your hair. 
  • Use as little heat as possible. That is, reduce the amount of time your hair is exposed to direct heat. Air dry before blowing drying to reduce blow drying time. 
  • Blow dry as straight as straight as possible to lessen the number of passes you make with the flat-iron. 


How I do it! 

My straightening arsenal


I only execute this process about 5 or 6 times a year. I carry out my normal wash routine, adding some protein for extra strength to take me through the heat styling process. Here, I'll bypass my creamy leave-ins and reach for a liquid heat protectant instead, so my hair isn't weighed down. I then spray this on damp hair and air dry until my hair is about 90% dry. I may add a little more and proceed to blow-dry on medium heat. For this, I use the tension method - holding hair very taut to form the straight structure, then running the blow dryer up and down the strands. I do this until hair is completely dry. Next I apply another thermal protecting formula and begin the flat-ironing process which I do in 4 sections. I make subsections, ensuring that they are no wider than my flat-iron, then make about 2 passes on each sub-section using the 'comb chase' method. This is a technique where one uses a fine-tooth comb to detangle the hair while simultaneously running the flat-iron along the same section, following quickly behind the comb. Blow-drying and flat-ironing my hair takes between 2 and 2.5 hours.

Sometimes I need a midway break :-)
Finally, it is important to keep hair moisturized after this process.  Don't allow the thought of your hair reverting to deter you from doing so. Moisturize and seal as you normally would. 

My faves for moisturizing and sealing flat-ironed hair

XOXO,
Abbi

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?

share: