Wednesday 9 October 2013

Becoming Detached - A Look at Hair Breakage


If length retention has a nemesis, then this is most definitely it. Breakage occurs when the strands become too weak to hang on any longer. Many people think their hair isn't growing as they have been at the same length for years. What is really happening though, is BREAKAGE. Hair is constantly growing (unless there is a medical impediment), and grows from the scalp at an average rate of 1/2 inch per month. The reason it appears stagnant is that it is breaking equally as fast as it grows, leaving you to think there is no growth. Do you find little pieces of hair on your floor, in your sink or in your combs and brushes? That's a sign of breakage, so please keep reading.



There are numerous causes, the premiere of which, in my opinion is dry hair. In order for our strands to withstand manipulation it needs to be elastic. This elasticity is achieved through moisturized hair. There are many things that can be drying to your hair such as exposure to the elements (sun, wind etc), cotton (clothes, pillow cases etc), and even the dry air in your apartment during winter, so be weary of these things.


Some others include:
  • unfit hair tools
  • overmanipulation
  • overprocessing
  • overuse of heat tools
  • not enough protein in regimen (or diet)
  • too much protein in regimen
  • unhealthy eating habits/ unbalanced diet


Knowing this, we already know what to do to prevent or stop breakage in it's tracks. But in case you are still wondering, I'll list a few:

  1. Moisture moisture moisture - while many believe this it the enemy of relaxed and black hair in general, that couldn't be further from the truth. Our hair thrives on moisture. Click here, here and here for tips on how to up your moisturizing game.
  2. Do protein treatments where necessary (if hair is super stretchy and has little structure), and get enough protein in your diet along with all the other micro and macro nutrients.  Do this and you can say bye-bye to breakage.
  3. Next, engage in low manipulation, protective styling or just leave your hair alone! Use a wide tooth comb if necessary, but finger detangle where possible. 
  4. You've heard this time and time again...lay off the heat! 
  5. Finally, use chemicals such as relaxers and colors wisely or enlist the service of a professional.

Have you been experiencing breakage? How do you combat it? Share your tips below.

XOXO,
Abbi

2 comments :

  1. Whenever I have more breakage than I care for, I whip out Nexxus Emergencee for a hard protein treatment being absolutely sure to saturate my ends. Once the treatment hardens, I rinse, t-shirt dry, then apply the very best moisturizing conditioner that I have on hand and add heat for at least an hour. Then I challenge myself to 30 days of protective styles--be it buns, tucks, or braids. As long as my ends are moisturized, sealed, and protected, I'm happy.

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the opposite. Whenever I experience more than usual breakage, I reach for moisture to make my hair more elastic. Protein is usually not the answer. But I'm with you on the protective style tip! That, low manipulation and limiting heat work wonders for me.

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: