Friday 11 October 2013

Been So Long! - Routine After 6 weeks of Protective Styling

Detangling and Pre-poo


I am sitting under my hooded dryer, writing this post at 11:50pm on Friday. I am TIRED ! It has been a long night. 


6 weeks old beehive braid pattern


I took my cornrows out and finger detangled using Mane 'N Tail Detangler. It worked really well even though I was in tangle city. My hair was knotted at the line of demarcation pretty much throughout my entire head. It was pretty easy to detangle but super time-consuming. The take-down and detangling processes totaled 2.5 hours. I noticed a lot of shed hairs. But after 6 weeks I expected nothing less.

6 weeks shedding




Next I pre-pooed with Rosehip & Hibiscus Flowers and Orange spice black tea steeped in olive oil overnight. 

Hot oil treatment infused with tea

I'm not sure whether or not this was an effective way of combining tea and oil though, as the tea wasn't very evident in the concoction. Anywho, I heated this mixture for 30 seconds and applied it to my hair and scalp. I combed it through to ensure even distribution. My hair felt absolutely awesome up to this point. Super soft and easy to comb through. I braided my hair into about 5 plaits...


Pre-pooing in plaits


...after which I put on a plastic cap and scarf. I left this in my hair for about an hour and a half while I went to the gym (my apartment's gym, not a public one lol).

These are the first few steps in my wash weekend. Come back for more when I'm not so exhausted :-) Until then,

XOXO,
Abbi 

4 comments :

  1. Ha-ha! Why workout your arms when you can just detangle your hair! I think that you can put the tea inside of the oil over a double boiler for a while to let it infuse better/longer for a more potent blend.

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR it was definitely a workout! I actually did something similar, but I'll switch it up next time. Thanks KLP

      Delete
  2. Love that 'my apartment gym'! Almost 3 hours if detangling wow! Long term protective styling scares me for that reason! Will wait for the next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love multi tasking by using the heat generated while exercising to activate my pre-poos and DCs, but y'all know they ain't fit for the outdoors! lol The detangling session was definitely a long one but since it occurs once every 6 weeks, I can live with it. Thanks Yvonne.

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: