Wednesday 16 October 2013

Piling on the Moisture - LOC method

Today is the first of too many cold days to come here in Nagoya. I am not a fan of the colder months at all. You see, I'm an island girl hailing from Jamaica - land of sun, wood and water, so the cold is just too much for me. It wreaks havoc on everything from my sinuses to my skin and it doesn't bypass my hair in the process. It leaves both my skin and my hair screaming for moisture!

How do I put back what the cold, dry air takes away from my hair? Typically, I'd moisturize and seal, but this won't cut it in the winter. I've got to pull out the big guns, enter the LOC method of moisturizing.


What is it?

Liqud
Oil
Cream


This is the process of moisturizing your hair with a liquid (water-based product), sealing it with an oil, and then going a step further to seal that oil with a cream. Some change the order, making it into LCO (Liquid, cream then oil). Experimenting is the best way to determine which your hair prefers.

How I do it!

Prior to Operation Moisture, I'd use any liquid, oil and cream I had on hand. Some favorites were: Liquid- Aphogee leave-ins and Wave Nouveau moisturizer, Cream - Cantu Shea Butter and Elasta QP Mango Butter, and Oils - a blend consisting of my favourite natural oils all of wich contain some kind of protein. This winter I will be a bit more selective, bypassing the proteins (for now) and opting for moisture-based products. I have found that the LCO is the better option for me so I will use plain water as my liquid, Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose for my cream (I was going through my stash in search of a no-protein moisturizer and I could not find one :-O, they all have protein! ) and sealing with either EVOO or castor oil.


Caution

This method may not be suitable for those with fine hair or those who intend to rock a straight style as the use of three types of products in a single moisturizing session may weigh the hair down leaving it looking limp and lifeless. If however, you have thick strands and you intend to protective style, this method is perfect for you in the fight against the dryness that winter brings.

Also, be weary of build-up when using this method. Use products with more natural ingredients to avoid this. 


Have you ever tried the LOC/ LCO method? Any success?


XOXO,
Abbi

No comments :

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?

share: