Saturday 11 January 2014

If You Like it Then You Shoulda Put a Rinse on it...? - Clear Rinsing


I rambled about my interest in clear rinses before. I shared with you some of the benefits and reposted some testimonials from a few bloggers. The time has finally come for me to try it out.

I did the rinse on the wash day following my relaxer. I skipped it on relaxer day for a few reasons: I didn't have much time and I didn't plan on styling my hair properly. I simply air-dried and went on my merry way. I wanted to see the full effects of the rinse so I wanted to wait until I was able to style properly.

I started the following wash day with a coconut, EVOO, and grapeseed oil hot oil/ pre-poo treatment. I followed that with a mini clarifying wash with ORS (to fully remove any relaxer that may still be present, although I highly doubt that), then I deep conditioned with ORS HaiRepair Nourishing Conditioner (light protein), followed by a moisturizing DC with Queen Helene Cholesterol creme (ginseng) to be on the safe side. **You may remember I struggled with protein overload a little while ago ad I don't want to risk that agin. I think it's important to have the moisture/ protein balance on point as the clear rinse will 'lock' your hair in it's current state.** Finally, I cooled and sealed with Tresseme Moisture Rich conditioner and then did my clear rinse.


Directions
Apply directly from bottle to towel-dried hair. Use protective cream around hairline and keep off scalp. Process 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse and shampoo. can be used immediately after relaxing.

Use immediately after relaxer service
Enhance, refresh, brighten, shine
Semi-permanent (heat)
Temporary (no heat)
No ammonia
No peroxide


Execution
After the process outlined above, I t-shirt dried for about 5 minutes and then applied the contents of the bottle to my hair. I skipped the protective cream they recommend (obviously bcuz it's in clear), covered with a plastic cap, and sat under my bonnet dryer for 10 minutes because I want semi-permanent results.

I hopped back in the shower and rinsed with cool water. I t-shirt dried again for about 10 minutes then I detangled. My hair felt no different from my other wash days (womp womp). It didn't take long to detangle and I only lost minimal amount of hair, but my hair felt a bit dry and somewhat tangled. I was not wowed at all.


Note: I think one of the culprits is that at that point, due to my relaxer, I had used protein for 3 straight weeks. I did it to fortify my hair for the relaxer process and to rebuild it thereafter, but now I wonder if that was a bit much. I still am not back to the soft hair I had before those protein treatments.


I will give it another try to see if there is any difference, but for now I'm not sold.



Have you tried clear rinsing yet?


12 comments :

  1. I tried it once and didn't notice any difference in my hair either. My hair is short so I still have product left. I'll try it again and see, but this might just be one for other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Aine, gonna give it a second shot too.

      Delete
  2. I still have yet to try it, but anytime I see a post on it I'm so tempted to !

    www.futurelawyergirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol that was me before I actually did it.

      Delete
  3. I always hear on the benefits of colour rinse, especially on the ends, I have not tried it myself but I would really like to but too soon, pitty it did nothing for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep such a pity! Gonna try it again when my hair is in a more balanced state though to see if there will be a difference, or perhaps a different brand.

      Delete
  4. I have not tried a clear rinse, but it's in my back pocket of things I'd like to try on my hair one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely be interested in that post from you when you do it ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about clear rinses as well. So far I haven't been to impressed with the way they've left my hair feeling :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! I'm wondering if a different brand would be any better.

      Delete
  6. i've never tried a clear rinse myself.
    they've always intrigued me but my hair is dry enough as it is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha as of now I'm not exactly singing their praises, it didn't live up to the hype for me...but I'm very forgiving, I'll give it another shot.

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: