Thursday 16 October 2014

Supplements for Increased Hair Growth

I have officially been on a no heat + (semi) protective styling stint since July. This is because when I straighten again in December I want to see progress. While retention is a big factor in the outcome, there are some things we can do to affect growth. We already discussed some of the things we can do to promote growth and in fact, increase your growth rate. Today, I am zooming in on the world of supplements to divulge those I take to positively affect hair growth.
 
 


The four main ones I take on the daily are a multivitamin, biotin, folic acid and MSM. I also have fish oil, vitamins A, C & D3, and a calcium, magnesium and zinc supplement in my stash. I take these on and off for different purposes but I suppose they could also positively affect one's HHJ, so they are a worthy mention. Now back to my main squeezes.


Multivitamin
I go back and forth between brands, but I am currently taking Sundown Naturals Daily Multiple Vitamins with Iron. This particular brand has Vitamins A, C, D & E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B-6, Folic acid, Vitamin B-12, Pantothenic acid and Iron, all of which are 100% of the daily value.

It is my firm belief that everyone everywhere should take a daily multivitamin to make up for what we don't get from our food. We all know by now that our hair and nails are the last to receive nutrients from our body after our more important organs are fed. Therefore, we should ensure that our body has all it needs (+ more) so that our hair can benefit as well.
 
 

Biotin
I am currently taking Nature's Bounty Super Potency Biotin in 5000mcg. I am not partial to any brand of supplements, I just go with what is available. The claim on this bottle is that it supports healthy carb, fat and protein metabolism and hair, skin and nails.
 
This is perhaps one of, if not the most popular hair vitamin in the hair journey realm. It is thought of as the magic pill for healthy hair. Biotin, also known as vitamin H or coenzyme R, is a water-soluble B-vitamin. It is used to treat hair loss, brittle nails, skin rash in infants (seborrheic dermatitis), diabetes, and mild depression.
 

Biotin has been called 'hair food' and rightly so since one of the effects seen most often is an increased rate of growth in the hair when taking biotin supplements on a daily basis. The magic number seems to hover around 5000 mcg a day, with daily consumption being very important.
                                                                          Giulia Heiman,
                                                                          Beauty Supply Expert
 

Many have claimed to be adversely affected by this supplement, having severe breakouts because of it. I for one, have never experienced this, which could be due to my massive water intake.




MSM (MethylSulfonylMethane)
I am currently on the MSM crystals by the MRM brand. I take 1 scoop which is 1000mg.
This supplement is used for chronic pain, joint inflammation, osteoporosis, muscle cramps, scar tissue, stretch marks, hair loss, wrinkles, protection against sun/wind burn and much more. Because MSM helps in tissue repair, some sellers tout it to promote the growth of hair and nails. After all, hair and nails are dead skin cells -- the more cells you produce, the more dead cells you have, right? Some physicians even say that MSM helps your body build collagen, the protein that keeps skin and hair supple. (source)
 
 
Not a believer in biotin or MSM? Check out this video.
 
 
 
Folic acid
My multivitamin contains folic acid, but I had this bottle laying around and decided to add it to my regimen. It is by Nature Made and is 400 mcg.
 
Folic acid is a B vitamin. It helps the body make healthy new cells. Everyone needs folic acid. Since folic acid helps your cells work and tissues grow, it helps your hair growth if you're receiving an adequate amount of folic acid on a regular basis. (source)
  
Here's a vid of someone using folic acid for hair growth (there are many more).
 
 
 
Disclaimer: These are the supplements I take. To find out which are right for you, check with your doctor or a medical professional prior to engaging in supplementation.
 
 
 
Do you supplement your diet to benefit your hair?
 
 


15 comments :

  1. I take a multivitamin with Omega 3-6-9 oils and I also take 1000 mcg of biotin. I can't take too much more than that because I break out. The breakouts will happen even if I drink loads of water. This is one reason why I'm hesitant to try any of the hair vitamins. Are there any adverse effects of MSM?

    Don't Touch The Hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see. Not that I know of. I haven't heard of any complaints with that supplement.

      Delete
  2. hmmm, these are very interesting.
    i tried taking biotin about a year ago and unfortunately, exprerienced break outs.
    i just wasn't willing to sacrifice my clear skin for longer hair.
    but perhaps if i up my water intake...

    thanks for sharing :)
    vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I know what you mean, I wouldn't sacrifice my skin either.
      Yeah, trying upping your water game and see if that helps.

      Delete
  3. MSM is great at extending the growth cycle of our hair! I take a multivitamin, that's about it. I used to take MSM, and Biotin but my body doesn't react too well to them i.e. severe acne, imbalanced menstrual cycles etc. I still take my Omega 3's. I just make sure I have Calcium, Iron and Protein in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forgot to mention that. That's a big reason why I kept taking it at first, it reduced my shedding because it lengthened the anagen phase.
      Oh wow, sounds severe. It's a good thing we can get all the nutrients we need from our food.
      Thanks for stopping by Sunshyne!

      Delete
  4. We are what we eat. If you do not consume enough vitamins on a daily basis, sooner or later your body will ask for them in its own way. Skin, hair and nails are the basic ‘indicators’ of your overall health. Therefore, in case something is wrong with any of these three, you should look for a reason inside. I was very anxious with my hairloss, which used to happen each year in autumn-winter time. I started using external remedies, but in best case they were giving just a temporary effect. Then I have consulted a trichologist. He advised me to revise my nutrition and pointed the products which are especially needed for healthy hair. Besides, he recommended the natural nutritional supplement – Hair Gain Formula by Military Grade – which was supposed to enhance healthy hair growth. I must say, that following his advices during a year, I noticed that my hair became much thicker near the roots, which means that new hair is growing. Moreover, my hairdresser told me that my hair became more shiny and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently read an article here Biotin for hair growth http://www.restylepro.com/blogs/news/18010751-how-to-use-biotin-for-hair-growth that’s why I am doing a little research it. And that’s how I found your blog. ;) And your thoughts are really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have solution for hair loss in women.
    you can check my below thanks .



    hairjelly | solution for hair loss in women

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very helpful blog for me, because it contains all the answers of my questions. It is informative and useful. Thank you sop much for sharing this post. vega one protein

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about hair. Please keep sharing.
    Health Is A Life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article. Vitamins for Hair Growth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Healthy eating is good and useful for hairs. I like these 8 steps to grow hairs naturally. Another remedy for hair growth is biotin supplement

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?

share: