Tuesday 10 September 2013

Leave it in! - Leave-ins

So we have pre-pooed, cleansed, and deep conditioned our tresses. What's next? Leave-ins of course! 


 


What is it?

A leave-in treatment is a product that isn't rinsed from your hair. It is applied at the end of the washing process after your deep condition and your final conditioning rinse have been done.


What's in it? 

This can be, like other conditioners, either moisture or protein based. Unlike other conditioners though, leave-ins are thinner and have different surfactants which add less material to the strands. 

Why do it? 

Leave-ins are a type of conditioner, whose main role is to prepare the hair for the next step after our final rinse - styling. It can give it an extra shot of moisture or protein and helps the hair maintain its integrity in the drying process, be it air-drying, roller-setting, blow-drying, and/or flat-ironing. Some leave-ins also serve as heat protectants. Aweome stuff! 

How I do it! 

Applying my leave-in conditioner is a simple process. In the sections which I have maintained throughout wash day, I apply generously to my strands from root to tip, ensuring that each strand benefits. If I will be air-drying, I go for a thick, creamy leave-in. When I blow-dry and flat-iron however, I go for a light, liquid leave-in which is usually sprayed onto my hair. Finally for roller-sets I utilize a combination of the two kinds.

What leave-ins do you currently use? Are they any good?

XOXO,
Abbi

4 comments :

  1. I was in love with Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in several moons ago to moisturize my hair prior to straightening---but it just didn't give me enough moisture. Now I use It's a 10 and I'm loving it!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your recommendation. I'll check it out if ever I have the opportunity. Aphogee works great for me, but who knows, something else may very well work better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Dr Bronners lavender and coconut leave in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it Lisa, but I heard it's pretty good.

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: