Monday 2 December 2013

The Trickery! - Wash Day 29/11

It was my intention to wear my protective style for 6 weeks, it really was. However, I made it to 4 and was like F this. lol I just grew tired of wearing a wig and wanted my own hair again. 

So on Friday night, I got to undoing my braids and finger detangling. This process took me a mere 25 mins, as opposed to last time when it lasted about 2.5 hours, and with minimal shedding too. I laughed in the face of the small amount of shed hair.

 


I had done a tea/ coffee rinse once a week for the duration of the protective style, and figured my little shedding was me reaping the benefits. I did a hot oil treatment/ prepoo with a mix of grapeseed and EVOO. I didn't want my hair to be clarified, so instead of my beloved ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, I opted for some Herbal Essences shampoo that has been sitting in my bathroom for a while. I really wanted to use my sulfate-free shampoo by Nature's Gate, but just as I was about to squirt some into my hands, I realized that it was the conditioner, apparently the shampoo had finished long ago. Anywhoo, I applied the shampoo to my previously finger-detangled hair in a total of 6 sections as I am now 18 weeks post. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed. 

At this point I realized I had been tricked, big time!

My hair was tangled all the way through! Wait what?! I slopped my deep conditioner (Aubrey's, LeKair + oils) and 'sealed' it with the aforementioned Nature's Gate Aloe Vera conditioner. It then took me about another hour to detangle my hair. I did it in small sections and rebraided in about 8 plaits. I allowed it to marinate in an overnight session. The next day I rinsed the conditioner from my hair and would you know that it was still a little tangled?! Thank God for the shower stream which really loosened them up, but I lost a considerable amount of hair. I suppose it wasn't crazy bad since I didn't lose that much in the initial finger detangling process. So maybe those strands I saw in the shower were just the remaining shed strands which my finger didn't get. 

I still don't know if this little problem was because my hair wasn't thoroughly detangled or if that shampoo just was not the business.

Note to self: 

  • After a few weeks of cornrows, finger detangling will not suffice. 
  • Never ever ever shampoo/ wet hair without a thorough detangling WITH A COMB! but you knew that
  • Throw out that God-awful shampoo and stick with ORS creamy aloe (I do have some Aphogee shampoo for damaged hair that I may give one last shot, but other than that it's ORS all the way) 

After all this my hair did not feel the way it has been feeling since my operation moisture. The wash days prior to now left me with moisturized hair that remained soft for a long time. This time however, that was not the case. My new growth was especially dry and I ended up blow drying to straighten the roots a little. 

Finally, I was heading out for some good ole bbq ribs (my fave!) and my hair was down initially, but after all the extra layers I've got to wear in this weather (which I hate!) I just went for an up-do (if I can call it that lol) instead. Take a look.




How was your wash day? Silky smooth or were there a few bumps in the road?

XOXO,
Abbi

6 comments :

  1. HELP!! I recently started my hair journey and Saturday was my first wash day with my new(first) regimen
    My Regimen included
    hot oil treatment: Extra Virgin Olive, argon, castor oil (barely)
    Shampoo: creme of nature argon oil shampoo (sulfrate free)
    Protein treatment: ORS hair mayonnaise
    Deep condition: Creme of nature argon oil intensive conditioning treatment
    Dry method: roller set
    Also used hot water to rinse out each product and I am currently 8 weeks post.
    My hair looks and feels like crap, it has never felt this way before it feels stripped of everything and looks very frizzy.
    Idk i need some help to get it back in order otherwise by the end of this week i won't have much left.
    Should i cowash or something because i need to do something ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, don't panic. It happens to the best of us. This is what it's all about - trial and error, until you find what works for you :-)

      It's great that you pre-pooed. It sets the stage for wash day and those oils are great for this step too.

      Ok I haven't used the creme of nature line and when I researched them, both the shampoo and deep conditioner said 'strengthening' which suggests protein. The ORS is also a protein-containing product. So you did 2 protein treatments in 1 wash day.
      Also, since this is your first wash of your hair journey, I would have suggested a clarifying wash to rid yourself of any build up. The creme of nature products both contain mineral oil and cones (assuming you were using them or similar products prior to HHJ) and a sulfate-free shampoo will not properly cleanse your hair of this.
      Next is the fact that I don't see any mention of leave-ins. Leave-ins help your hair transition from wet to dry in an optimal state.
      Finally hot water is not the best temperature for hair care. Try warm water instead, and for your final rinse, go with cool or cold water, to get the cuticles of your hair laying flat.

      You can try to co-wash to restore moisture (ensure your co-wash conditioner is not loaded with proteins), but I think next shampoo day is when your hair will start to recover provided you take the aforementioned suggestions.

      Good luck and please keep me posted.

      Delete
    2. lol i was already panicking but am calm now thanks to you. First stop cowashing! Then i gotta go get me clarifying shampoo, a moisturizing conditioner to DC instead of all this protein and stay away from the hot water. GOT IT! Thank you so much for the tips they'll be really useful for my other attempt. *fingers crossed*

      Delete
    3. My pleasure. All the best and let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Ah the great tangled hair mishap....you faired quite well! When that happened to me my hair matted and I lost 4 inches of length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-O really?? Oh no. I suppose I should count my blessings.

      Delete

What are your thoughts?

share: